Friday, January 4, 2013

I have finally finished my blog project on poverty. Luckily enough I was able to make my trip into the city on Christmas Day! It was the perfect time to really differentiate who was really struggling with poverty because it was a national holiday. I went into the city around 3 that day to go to dinner with my family. It was about 25 degrees, aka it was really cold, and with the winds in the city it is even colder. We walked down 42nd street to see the tree and I spotted a good 10 homeless people on the street. It was a shock that I saw this amount of people because it was Christmas and it was freezing.  The first lady I saw was wearing a black hoodie and black sweatpants. She was dark skinned and her hair was slicked back in a bun. She was sitting down up against a building on the sidewalk floor. The main thing I noticed is the cup that she was holding did not have any change in it, but she sat there repeating " Help, give money for the holidays". She was shaking and it looked like she was on some sort of drugs. It really saddened me that she was not only so poor, but that it was a holiday. I stayed around to watch if people would give money but most people just walked past.  As I was walking to the tree at Rockefeller center i saw a couple more homeless people who were sitting on filled laundry looking type of bags. It seemed that they had there clothes and belongings in the bags. They weren't asking for money, but you could tell that they were homeless and most people avoided them as if they were invisible also. I was hoping to see more of the people interacting with the homeless especially because it was Christmas, but the questions I had asked myself on appearance were definatley answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment